Monday, November 10, 2008

German Punctuality

The purpose of this post is not to offend Deutsche Bahn in any way - I am sure they do a great job coordinating all those trains, but rather to inform anyone reading this how to actually plan their time when traveling in Germany.

5:30 AM - It's Monday again, and the alarm clock buzzes the beginning of a new week. I wake up ready to face it, happy that I live in a German country, where everything and everybody is Punctual. I know... that here, no matter where I am, German Punctuality applies. So, I want to also be Punctual. I want to arrive at 9:00 AM in Aachen, to get my student card from the Secretary, and afterwards, at 10 - to attend my lecture. Normally, this is a 90 km track, 2 hours time. I can do it.
With help from German Punctuality, I will catch the train at 7:01 AM, and will be in Aachen at precisely 08:48 AM.
6:00 AM - Shower, breakfast. German Punctuality works.
6:30 AM - Outside, air is fresh. It's still dark, in a cloudy cold and rainy Punctual day.
6:48 AM - I am at the train station, I buy the ticket. Train is announced to be 10 minutes late. I think I am still able to make it in time to catch the connection train - Koeln - Aachen. Few people wait silently on the platform.
7:01 AM - The billboard changes. 10 minutes suddenly change to 15 minutes. Hmm, no problem.. I am lucky to be young and can run to catch the connection in Köln. I'll do my best to be Punctual.
7:10 AM - 15 minutes become 20. OK, my connection in Köln is lost. I'll have to catch the next one, which will arrive half an hour later in Aachen. As of now I am no longer Punctual for my appointment.
7:20 AM - Billboard announces 25 minutes delay now. One employee of the Deutsche Bahn mumbles some bored excuses on a microphone. One old guy near me starts to dance something like a chicken dance.
7:25 AM - Train is still not in Bonn. You can barely move around the station, as now, the station is full of people which waited the train and 7:01, and also the ones who came for the 7:30 train.
7:30 AM - Train arrives, fully packed with people and with a delay of 30 minutes. The employee announces on the speaker that this train, although Regional EXPRESS, will have to stop in every stop on the way to Köln. That's 2 times more stops than usual.
7:40 AM - Still not at the first stop. The train advances a few kilometers, than stops for a pause. Probably this is what it takes to be Punctual.
08:10 AM - I am in Köln. Yeah!!!
Now where's the train? I look on the display on the train station. I find out that my next train which was supposed to be there at 8:20 AM will be 20 minutes late. All trains on the billboard were at least 15 minutes late. Ok, that adds up another 20 minutes to my wasted time.
8:40 AM - I step into the train from Köln to Aachen.
9:50 AM - I am finally in Aachen, almost 4 hours after leaving my house. Bummer, I won't be Punctual today. I quickly WALK to the secretary office, pick up my ID, and finally arrive at school at 11:00 AM. I enjoy the remaining half an hour left of the lecture. Wow, that's a deal: 4 hours travel for half an hour lecture.

It would be OK if this was an one-time case, but it happens 4 times out of 5 when traveling to Aachen and back. One good friend also had this happening to him, but in his case he didn't miss one lecture, but a whole flight. In return, he didn't receive at least one excuse, but had to buy a brand new plane ticket. That was at least 5 times more expensive than the one for the flight he lost.

4 comments:

Florin said...

Creca te referi la bietul Radu, nu?
Bai nu mai e nemtii astia ce era, ce sa mai, hai inapoi acasa, acolo barem stii la ce sa te 'astepti' :)

Off topic, cum e dom'le sa te dai cu bungee jumpingu? Ca vazui ca te-ai dat si n-ai povestit. Ai repeta experienta?

Alexandru Rugina said...

Da, de Radu era vorba :)

A meritat bungee, dar tot nu-mi vine sa cred ca am facut asta. Si cu siguranta as repeta-o :)

Simona said...

Hm, credeam ca numai in Olanda se intampla asa... numai ca aici, astia zic si motivele: sinucigasi. Yeap, that's right, la moda in Olanda, daca vrei sa te omori, e sa sari in fata trenului.

Eu am ajuns o data la 5min dupa ce trenul tocmai calcase pe unul. La 20m de peron. Nu stiam de ce trenul sta pe loc inainte sa fi ajuns in gara. Daca ajungeam mai devreme (bine ca nu-s punctuala in cazul asta, chiar intarziam si credeam c-am pierdut trenul), il vedeam "accidentul".

Oricum, cred ca treaba cu German punctuality devine incet-incet un mit/iluzie...

Anonymous said...

foarte interesant articol.

eu chiar am fost foarte placut surprins de punctualitatea germana, in putinele zile in care am vizitat.
n-am avut timp sa aflu ca exista si exceptii.
in orice caz, daca mai sunt si exceptii nu se compara cu punctualitatea roman... *cough* nesimtirea romaneasca.

romanul nu prea stie ce e aia punctualitate, e doar un termen ciudat din dictionar. la noi e la moda "sfertul academic", cele 30 de minute academice, si ora academica, cu vesnica scuza "am fost prins in trafic ce sa-i faci bre"...